PE and Sport Premium
Sports at Oakfield
At Oakfield Primary School, we believe that PE is a vital part of the curriculum. It is through a varied and exciting PE curriculum that children learn the importance of health and well being. Our PE curriculum and extra curricular activities also play an important role in creating a positive influence on attitude, academic performance and concentration of all pupils. Our Primary School Sports Funding enables us to continue, improve and extend this provision.
What is the Sports Funding? The National Picture
Sports funding was introduced by the Government in September 2013. It was designed to give additional money to support schools in developing Physical Education in Schools and build an ‘Olympic Legacy’. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school head teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
How should we use it?
Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best way of using the money.
For example, the funding could be used to:
- hire specialist PE teachers
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools.
For more information on the PE and sport premium click here